Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Bird and Bees

 
Q: What is a New Year Resolution?
A: A list of things to do for the first week of January!
We're now 16 days in to the new year and I'm just starting my new year resolution, I must lose weight! All that Christmassy loveliness has left it's mark on my waistline. So I've been busy, eating and drinking anything that's left in the house so I can begin proper.
 This weeks challenge at Stampotique is 'New Year Resolutions' and is hosted by the lovely Jane
Another resolution is to try new things, and in case I haven't mentioned this before, I can't draw! I really can't draw at all, so I'm having a go at drawing. I found this terribly difficult and really needed something for inspiration and as a reference point to get me going. Anyway, I found this fab painting by Chrysti Hydek, below, which I fell in love with and I ended up with my version above. I finished it with beeswax and added some stars, another resolution I have made is to make lots of flowery, starry things.
I drew the bird and used Stampotique stamps: Daniel's Hearts, 5 Petaled Flower, Scalloped Lace Border and Floral Swirl for the accents. I used the basic lines from the original as a 'layout' for my painting. I do hope I made it my own and that if Chrysti ever sees mine she won't be offended.
I love the sentiment, also a stamp, it's quite appropriate for me, I'm a bit of a chatter box and need to slow down in conversations and listen more. 
Wishing you a happy, chatty day, Sam xxx

24 comments:

  1. Oh Sam this is sooo lovely.
    Wonderful work with birds.
    Awesome.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sam I just love your interpretation of this painting, way to go girl, keep on drawing, you've done a magnificent job.
    You're eating to slim comment made me laugh, that's me too lol.
    Enjoy your week.
    Hugs Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your version, Sam - the colours are perfect. And have fun with the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job! Love your version of the painting. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good quote, Sam...I'd love to follow it more.
    Lovely piece of yours, so delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous Sam. Enjoy your drawings this year, can't wait to see more xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. both creations are gorgeous, love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous Sam, you can see the inspiration, but then you've made in an original 'Sam'. Good for you for trying something new - I always think of drawing as something you are born good at or in my case, the reason I stamp :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. he he he! Oh...I think we could have some very very interesting chats together Sam! lol Love your bird and good luck with the drawing, I am trying to work up the guts to post mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous Sam, the bird is lovely :-)It would look good on a Christmas card :-)

    Rose xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well for someone that can't draw that is brilliant :) Love the colours you have used too and the whole piece is quintessentially Sam :)
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sam, this is definitely an 'inspired by' rather than a 'copy of' piece. I love how you've seen something and made it your own. Who said you can't draw?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't believe you, you CAN draw!!!

    Hope you manage to stick to them, I don't which is why I don't make any - lol

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sam, ooh this is gorgeous, I adore the colours and YES YOU CAN DRAW. Love it to bits. XX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just beautiful - love the saying.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this lots Sam - the colours are gorgeous.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your little birdy Sam...you definitely made it your own! A great sentiment too!
    Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh this is great! Love it! Thanks for using one of my stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your drawing looks amazing. You CAN draw!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning... LOve your color choices.
    I agree with Kate. You can DRAW.
    xx
    Sarinda

    ReplyDelete
  21. You certainly CAN draw Miss Sam!! Your bird is lovely and as always I love your composition and colours!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment, Sam x