Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Winter Whites


I love a challenge that's . . . challenging! This weeks challenge at Stampotique is hosted by the lovely Valerie, here's what she had to say:  "I challenge you to use various shades of winter whites in your projects - white, shimmer white, off-white, ecru, eggshell, etc.  Here's what she said about this color choice, "Well, it wasn't planned, but this theme has a striking significance for those of us here on the East Coast who have just endured a big winter snow storm!  All of nature is drooping under the weight of a heavy white winter blanket!  Mother Nature really does provide the most beautiful inspiration!" and of course it's very appropriate for us in the UK, well some of us. On Monday morning Poppy and I woke to about an inch of snow. Not much you might think but with rain the previous day or so, it managed to flood our river and meadows for the 5th time in about 4 months. 
Back to stamps! When I first saw this challenge I did a bit of chin rubbing and head scratching and as regulars to my blog will know I like to make things to embellish my home. So I got my thinking cap on can came up with these two makes.
The first make is an old baked bean tin. I painted it with an off white and used Jo's Star, Scalloped Lace Border, and Containers Cubed #3. A few mica flakes along the bottom using double sided sticky tape and I have a lovely brush holder.
Secondly I took a little glass vase, it was £1 and painted the inside with a sample pot of Ivory paint, you know the sample pots from DIY shops so you can paint multi coloured squares on your walls before you decide which you like. I stamped Giant Snowflake on some shrink plastic and coloured it white before shrinking. I threaded that and a snowflake charm on some ivory ribbon and I have a sweet little vase for the winter white heather from my garden.
Just a quick reminder that if you enter the challenge you will be in with a chance of winning a $30 voucher to spend at Stampotique.
Wishing you a warm and crafty day, Sam

17 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous set! Love your altering! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam these are gorgeous, you always make me slap my forehead and and think 'why didn't I think of that'! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful makes for your home, and a very good idea !! And thank you for using some stamps I'm discovering... a way for me to admire very cool Stamptotique stamps never seen yet ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sam, I love these, the bean tin looks gorgeous with those stamps and the painted vase and snowflake sets the heather off perfectly!

    Next time we have beans I'll be saving the tin and doing something with it!

    Hope you and Poppy are staying warm!

    Rose xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your winter whites, Sam. The tin stamps really well, something of a surprise to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been doing very well Samantha I just love it they look so lovely and delicate. Fantastic
    XO SanDee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous idea! Thanks for using one of my stamps! It looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pieces Sam, love the shrinkie snowflake, very cool.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are great makes Sam and just love that little vase. We still have snow here up here on the mountain top!! Very fed up with it.
    Hope you don't have to do too much paddling :)
    hugs
    Lynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both these pieces are lovely and the baked bean tin is stunning as a brush holder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great creation for your paint brushes-looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how you altered that tin - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are wonderful--I love that can!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely an up-cycle for that bean tin, Samantha! Love them both, but that tin is my favorite! And, practical! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment, Sam x