Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Stampotique gets Steamy!

Steampunk is something that has quietly passed me by, so when I saw the challenge that team mate Kathi was setting for us at Stampotique this week, I panicked slightly . . . to say the least. 
Here is what Kathi had to say to invite us to use our stamps and our imagination and get steamy:

"Steampunk is an inspired movement of creativity and imagination. With a backdrop of either Victorian England or America’s Wild West at hand, modern technologies are re-imagined and realized as elaborate works of art, fashion, and mechanics. If Jules Verne or H.G. Wells were writing their science fiction today, it would be considered “steampunk."
 I may have been slightly predictable and chosen a metal character when choosing Tinman but he was perfect for what I had in mind. I took a 50p photo frame and painted it with gesso, then paint, I added modelling paste and created lots of dips in the paste for texture. When dry I painted with a another colour and to the dips in the paste I poured some glossy accents to make puddles. To these puddles I added watch parts and little beads. I added some silver embossing powder to give a really metallic feeling and the paper behind Tinman had metal dots.
It took just a couple of hours to make and I had great fun! The stamps I used are: Tinman and Word Collage
It's Kathi's first time hosting at Stampotique so I'm super excited for her! Don't forget that just by 'having a go' you are in with a chance of winning $30 to spend at the Stampotique Online Shop.
Wishing you a steam punky day, Sam xxx

13 comments:

  1. I love your tin man, Sam, and your own Oz take on steampunk (it's not so scary, eh.:-) ). The papers behind him and the texture, beading and colour are brilliant together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant Sam, I love how you've coloured your frame, and Tinman is perfect! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your colour choices Sam! Great you were inspired to make a picture instead of a card, love what you have created. Tinman is perfect for Steampunk:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The frame you have made for tin man is brilliant Sam ... Love the cogs and beads you have worked into it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Steampunk tin man Sam. The background is wonderful, love all the gears and clockworks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steampunk is not something I am comfortable with Sam although I have seen some lovely works of art created. I do love your interpretation though and that is the sort of thing I would have come up with - a more feminine, restrained sort of steampunk :)
    Have a lovely rest of the week, hugs to you and Poppy xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sam, like Maria, you may have lacked steampunk crafting supplies, but not imagination! Love all the wee elements in your frame, but, of course, Tin Man takes center stage on any steampunk project in my book....eh.....journal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I struggled a bit as steam punk is also not my thing. I do like your project and if Tin Man isn't steampunk then what is, eh ?
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply love your interpretation of Steampunk for this whimsical altered frame.
    The handmade paper brings lovely texture as does all that gorgeous texture you created on the actual frame.
    The sun has been shining in my little corner of the country. Maybe you and Poppy are enjoying the brighter days :)
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've made a fabulous Steampunk frame Sam, I love the tin man! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, this is so so so so so lovely!!!! Love your frame Sam, also thanks for the details on the technique you used to insert the beads! A big hug to you and Poppy, Coco xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it Sam and what a beautiful colours you chose for this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment, Sam x